Monday 20 December 2010

Test Drive

So alright then.  Here we are blogging.  Seems like something that should be done alone in a hotel room somewhere near Stanstead, doesn't it? Anyway, if this thing works then it's the efficient way to inform You, sitting there at your computer where ever you are of what I'm doing sitting at my computer where ever I am.  Keeping in mind that I am writing to many of You, and I'm not going to censor myself, because then you're not going to know what I really think if I'm not free to use all the damns, shits, and hells that I like.

So here we go.  Got into England on Saturday morning. Fine flight from Detroit into Heathrow.  Ice had frozen the doors of the plane shut for an additional hour after we landed. The norse gods seemed to realize, that they could seize attention by messing with heretical christmas malarky by throwing down lots of heavy wet snow and chasing it with a sharp arctic wind.  I'll admit I was skeptical of it being any worse then Michigan, but it's been seriously cold and the snow's been heavy.

Shortly after arriving in Newport Pagnell, I had tea, a sandwich, beer, a snowball fight against the fearless young Currie brothers, more beer, short conversations about sleep and long conversations about the scurge of the snow.  There were good, hard hugs, a few names I couldn't remember and more then a few faces I wish had come out as there was loud laughter that lasted late into the night.
And there are pictures, as I became uncharacteristically snap-happy as lack of sleep dementia and silly drunkenness set in.

On Sunday, we fetched Vince's van from the mechanics, and the hill going down from the church to the river was full of kids sledding and playing in the snow.  We saw his boys and they were bigger and hairier then I'd expected.  We spent the rest of the day inside watching movies and ate a big lovely roast beef lunch with roast potatoes, peas, and Yorkshire pudding drowned in gravy.

I hadn't managed to fool my internal clock with saturday night, and jet lag woke me up early monday and I took an early morning walk in the freezing fog.  Later, around noon, head down to London and met up with Anne.  And there we are now, waiting to go to France early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment